Sunday, March 6, 2011

Unequally Yoked

About 12½ years ago, a light bulb came on and I came to the sudden realization that I wasn’t alone, that my burdens were not for me to bear alone. I knew, intellectually and spiritually, that Christ suffered for our sins and for the grief and pain we feel as part of this mortal probation. The only thing I couldn’t figure out was how one could release those burdens to Him. I spent a week contemplating this new revelation.

At the end of that week, I found myself staring at what was left of my black Jetta after rolling into the ditch that served as the median of the freeway. One singular thought rose to the surface of the chaos facing me in that moment;

“Ok Lord, you win. My life is in your hands and I will accept the path you have laid for me.”

I felt light, strength, and relief. I knew I was not shouldering this burden alone. It was an answer to my prayers and the idea I had been contemplating. And though the Lord did truly show me how it felt to come unto Him, I don’t think I fully grasped the reality of how it is done, maybe I never will, but today I learned a little more that brought me closer to true understanding.

Matthew 11
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

The concept of a yoke, when it comes to oxen, is to help distribute the weight and workload taking advantage of the strongest to help the weak. In this way the two animals are kept equal and thus magnified in their ability to bear more than they could on their own.

To take upon you the yoke of Christ is to receive His will as your own. In doing so, you are strengthened as He, being the stronger, carries your weaknesses through the difficulties. As long as we are willing to follow Him, our burdens will be lighter, our strength will be greater, and we shall find rest. It is only when we try to pull away, to go our own way, that we struggle against the burden we will feel to bear alone.

This was the golden answer to the question asked so long ago. How do you place your burdens on Christ?

You simply follow Him, embracing His will for you. In that moment, at the scene of the wreck, I decided to try His plan. I remembered the yoke that bound us together, and I took my first step with Him, relying on the strength of His love and wisdom. And my burden was light.

3 comments:

Jan's Blog said...

What a lovely post. You write beautifully. I hope you'll post often!

Kris said...

We had the same lesson in Sunday School today in Rebecca's ward. The image of the "yoke" was wonderful. Your personal explanation is inspiring. It is powerful when the scriptures combine with life to teach us.
Thank you for sharing.

Christine said...

I just taught this lesson last week! When I used to read this scripture I used to see it as taking Christ's yoke upon us was putting a burden on ourselves...now I see it just like you described. He takes our burden from us but we have to walk side by side with him to allow him to carry it! Thanks for the personal insight!