Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sweat the Small Stuff

Yep, I never write anymore. In fact, I rarely take pictures either. It's sad, I know, but I lost interest. But never fear, my memories are not going to fade into oblivion because this year my goal is to write in a journal every day...and I've been doing it. Though sometimes difficult, it has been such a great exercise and the words are already priceless to me.

So, I have been blogging it on another site but very early on I decided not to make it public. I didn't want to have to censor it based on my experiences that day. There are just some things everyone shouldn't read. But as I'm beginning my third month, I've decided that sometimes I'll share the things I write in this blog. I don't know whether it's because I enjoy comments - though I'm not fooling myself thinking that anyone is checking this anymore...it's been a year! - but regardless, you may see some action around here soon.

To kick it off, here's today's entry for your reading pleasure!


Saturday, March 5, 2011

What does it take to get a man off the street, rid of drugs, and on with his life never to relapse again? It takes a complete life change, a change of scenery, and probably a complete rewrite of all he knows.

Today our family toured Benedict Castle. The place was built in the 1920’s, a Spanish inspired mini-castle. In the 1970’s the property was purchased by “Teen Challenge,” a faith-based drug and alcohol rehabilitation program. The staff and students live on site, work, and maintain the property. It was interesting to talk to our tour guide, Hayden, about the way of life there; the lack of access to computers, phones, Internet, television, and just about any other distraction the world throws at you. They are given strict rules and guidelines to follow in order to encourage a permanent life change.

I’m all for strict rules. I mean I’m a Mormon and if nothing else, we are known for our strictness. But Hayden was telling us that he was written up last week for leaving a book on his bed (it was supposed to be put away), and forgetting his sweatshirt in the mess hall. Now that’s pretty rigid. Of course for bigger offenses, like fighting, you are immediately sent away.

As Todd and I were talking on the way home it occurred to me how important it is to get these little things down. That’s what we do as we learn from childhood. We are trusted with the small stuff. We are expected to make our beds, keep our spaces clean, and do our homework. It is through these small exercises that we learn discipline; we learn to be aware of ourselves and the space around us.

Now when one heads down that road to addiction and the many other forms temptation takes for the natural man, he loses the ability to make even the smallest of choices in a responsible way. “Teen Challenge” brings them back to the start. They are only entrusted with the smallest of choices and as they learn and grow, they are slowly given more responsibility. People are not able to work through the big stuff without first mastering the small. What a great and merciful truth!

How can this be better applied to my life currently? For one, as a parent, I’m responsible for the instruction of my children. If I can remember that the little things, the chores and expectations, are the building blocks for real decision making, maybe I can be more consistent. If I don’t work to equip them with these life skills now, I am only handicapping their future.

1 comment:

tracyjax said...

welcome back! so my sister in law's brother and dad have both been through that very teen challenge...I guess they take not just teens? Anyway, it's pretty crazy how strict it is but they get results! So are you getting ready for when your kids need to be sent somewhere? haha jk